Chicken Abruzzi is a most delicious dish!!! Our version includes grilled chicken breast in a savory broth simmered with cannellini beans, kale and garden vegetables. It is a great option for a late-August or September evening!!!
Ingredients: (We recommend organic and free range ingredients!)
- 4 boneless chicken breast, slice thin to serve
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed & divided
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 small bell pepper, cubed
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups cannellini beans, rinsed & drained
- 2 zucchini, diced
- 3 cups kale, coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp. olive oil, extra virgin
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 tbsp. fresh thyme
- 1 tomato, seeded and diced
- Optional: pinch of Italian seasoning added to chicken coating
- Optional: 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- Optional: 1 tbsp. Italian seasoning
- Optional: Cooking spray
- In a medium bowl, combine chicken, 1 crushed garlic clove, a pinch of salt and black pepper. Mix to coat the chicken. Preheat large non-stick skillet on medium heat and spray with cooking spray. Add chicken and cook for 7-9 minutes per side or until cooked through. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Return skillet to medium heat, add oil, remaining garlic, and onion,and saute for 1 minute, stirring once. Add zucchini, bell pepper, and saute for 3 more minutes, stirring once. In the meanwhile, make a slurry by whisking together, in a medium bowl, chicken broth, cornstarch, salt and ground black pepper to taste. Pour over vegetables in the skillet and add the beans. Stir, bring to a boil, reduce heat to low-medium and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, add kale, tomato, thyme and optional lemon juice, stir again. To serve, spoon vegetable mixture in a soup or deep plate and place sliced chicken breast on top. Serve hot.
Store: Refrigerate vegetables and chicken separately for up to 3 days.
You can use any cooked chicken, grilled or broiled works great. If using canned beans, you might need to add less salt. You may wish to exchange expeller pressed coconut oil for the olive oil.
THE LIVE FREE GROUP is a lively, energetic, integrity-based group of integrative health coaches bringing people together from all walks of life who want to seriously improve their health and lifestyles. We want you to know science has proven that poor health and degenerative diseases are preventable. You can achieve good health and you can maintain the changes made and have big results in how you feel and live. Please take a moment to subscribe to our blog, join our mailing list, like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, connect with us on LinkedIn, Google+ and find us on Pinterest. Contact us if you have any questions or to set up a Free Consultation